Friday, April 17, 2009

Lessons from God

These past months, aside from reviewing for my upcoming board exams, I get the chance to spend some time daily (almost) to read from the Bible or an inspirational book. I realize that if I listen with my heart, Jesus, the greatest teacher of all time, takes every bit of chance to teach and correct me.

One time I felt good about myself because I thought that I gave my loved ones the gift of time (see entry dated 3/30/09) http://workinprogress-kay.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html. In my mind I thought that I did something really good and so I gave myself a much-deserved pat on the back.

The following day, I had to deal with some health problems my nanny has been having. I was posed with the challenge of spending the whole day, keeping her company at the hospital. The initial reaction was that of rebellion and resistance. I am sleep-deprived. Goodbye, one whole day of review. Hello long queues and humidity and mosquito bites. Boy, Jesus surely doesn’t wait long to correct me when I become proud. He gave me a gentle push ASAP. It was both a challenge and a wake-up call. But still, He really is merciful for as soon as He realized that I have learned my lesson, He sent my friend to help us out. And so in half a day, we managed to accomplish our tasks.

Another lesson: Two days ago, I was chatting with some fellow/friends when they mentioned that after having spent time at the department chairman’s father’s wake, the realized that the chair didn’t know who they were so one other consultant (the chair’s sibling) had to introduce them as fellows from the hematology section. I just nodded while thinking to myself: surely, the chairman must know them, at least the most senior ones who’ve been at hospital for a while. After all, she knew me while I was still there. We were on a first-name basis! She smiled and greeted me warmly. One time, she even invited me to join her department after I graduate.
I was so smug.

Last night, when I went to the wake, I was bracing myself and thinking up appropriate responses in case the chair invites me again to the department. When we got there, she called me by the incorrect name. Close but incorrect. And she asked me where I was planning to start my practice. Whoa! It felt like a bucket of cold water was poured over me. It hurt a bit then but now I am forever grateful for the lessons the Master tries so very hard to teach me.

I look back fondly at these moments and look forward to countless more that lie ahead of me. Sure, it is a bit scary, especially for someone like me who hates being wrong, most especially when other people know about it. Thankfully, He loves me so much and yanks me back whenever I go the wrong way. I ask that the Master be patient with me for I can be so stubborn sometimes. I pray for the grace to heed His call at all times.

No comments: