Sunday, April 19, 2009

Family Time, Mommy Time

The family went out today, just the five of us. For the first time ever, we dined out with no nanny in tow. Hubby and I braced ourselves and said to each other that it’s about time. We made the kids take their afternoon naps and excitedly woke them up after more than 3 hours. As if preparing for battle, I gave them their snacks of milk and choco flakes, washed them up and prepared our armamentarium – extra clothes, water, biscuits, and plenty of wipes. After giving the kids a peptalk/orientation cum warning, we sent the nannies off for some free time and off we went!

Though it was a bit tiring and more stressful than our usual trips to the mall, hubby and I agreed that it was well worth it. It brought us great pleasure to hear the kids, all buckled-up and chatting away, at the back of the car. They teased, they sang. There was no whining, which was commonplace when their yayas were there to give in to most of their needs.

They enjoyed the arcade and played various games. Sure, there were a few mishaps but generally, everything went smoother than expected. It’s like they suddenly grew up and learned how to feed themselves, strap on their own backpacks, and wipe their messy faces. We went to the bookstore and let them pick a few affordable books (courtesy of cash gift from Grandma).

Dinner was a bit of a struggle with the youngest but we all enjoyed it. One practical bonus is that because there were less of us, we were able to pick a nicer restaurant than the usual fastfood chain. As we went up the stairs and the usher directed as to our seats, the two older kids oohed and ahhed, obviously impressed by the carpet and the nice view and ambiance. I was pleased and felt a tinge of guilt, too, when I realized hubby and I have gone there a few times but this was a first for the kids. The two older ones extremely enjoyed the salad, pizza, and pasta. Especially when they were told that these were the kinds of food that their “friends” Ina and Giada loved to prepare (that’s Ina Garten and Giada de Laurentiis for you, the Food Network chefs the kids adore). Sprinkling on the parmesan on their food was a big thrill for them! For me, hearing them say, “Kuya/Ate/Little One, please pass me the cheese”, was the biggest thrill.

I enjoyed the experience so much. I savored the moment, just holding their hands and trying to keep up with their litany of ‘why’s . It gave me a chance to directly take care of their needs. It gave me a chance to be… a mommy. There is nothing more fulfilling! It brought me so much happiness that I will try my best to be more hands-on from now on.

I thank God for this day. Mabait talaga S’ya (God is good, indeed). Yesterday, I felt like a failure as a mother. Today must have been His way of reassuring me, encouraging me, telling me that, “My daughter, You’re doing okay”.

No comments: