Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rebuke

A man of understanding learns more from being told the right thing to do than a fool learns from being beaten a hundred times - Proverbs 17:10

This proverb strikes a chord. Two, actually.

First, it reminds me to deal with my weakness as a parent. I really do feel like a failure as a parent sometimes. Today and yesterday were two of those days. It seems I spend most of my waking hours studying and yelling, reprimanding, even spanking the kids.

It can get really frustrating. Especially when I try a number of times to speak softly, to be patient, and to gently talk them into doing the right thing (or to apologize to their sibling as the case may be). Before I know it, I lose my temper and I yell and then I spank. This cycle repeats itself countless times the whole day. It wears me out. And I fear that when the kids grow up, they would not remember the lessons. All they would remember about me are images of Mommy yelling and looking so mad.

I want so much and pray our kids would grow up to be responsible, balanced, happy people. If I could raise them the way our parents did I would be very grateful. But it seems we are not doing well. When hubby comes, I see him yelling at them, too. I get mad at the kids and at hubby for yelling. Then I get mad at myself for I know I’ve been doing the same the whole day. And the kids are mad ‘cause they don’t get what they want and they’re being yelled at. Which makes us one household of mad people. I need to be taught how to teach my children. Lord, please come into our rescue!

Second chord. I need a rebuke myself as I am impatient, irritable, tactless, and I waste a lot of time.

The following are 5 statements to learn if one is teachable:
(SOURCE: Our Daily Journal, Vol. 15, January 16 daily reflection by James MacDonald)

1. People give me input.
2. I see measurable growth and character development.
3. I don’t have to answer a critic with a defense.
4. I don’t have to criticize back.
5. I’m learning new ways to grow.

I gotta say, I have a lot of work to do. God has a lot of work to do.

No comments: