Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Asserting Myself

I really need to learn how to assert myself more. Today I got a cab to get home from Robinson’s. I knew in my heart that the best route to take was the street behind St. Paul’s parallel to Taft and then across Taft via Remedios. I knew this because I have taken this route countless times already.

When the driver was taking the other way, I sensed this urge to let him know that I preferred to pass by my usual, fool-proof route. But I doubted myself and thought that maybe this driver, being the driver, knew better. I thought it may not be wise na magmarunong, isipin pa pakialam ako. (Now, why would I care what the driver thought of me? Did his opinions matter? Would I ever see him again? An entirely different, albeit important topic). I assumed he knew where he was going simply because he didn’t ask for directions.

So there we were stuck in a bad traffic jam and couldn’t turn right to head towards my house because of one-way roads. Why didn’t I speak? It is not always best to remain silent.

Finally got home with 70 pesos less. Had I spoken, I could have reached home with less anxiety and for only 50 pesos, with no need to write about asserting myself. Hay.

No comments: