Monday, November 30, 2009

On Fiestas

Fiestas are a fascinating thing.

As I sat on the bus, I noticed that we slowed down to a crawl. I continued to look out the window and saw that there were more tambays than usual. Maybe because today's a holiday, I thought. Then, one by one, I saw the signs.

There were babies clad in those, white, lacy, itchy-looking things. Young ladies appeared to be wearing their nicest blouses (with wide belts and leggings to boot... are belts back?). And the ultimate sign - people sitting on plastic stools and chairs on verandas, clutching plates filled to the brim on one hand while they expertly try to eat with the other hand (using a spoon).

There were men sitting around tables with lambanog/beer and green mangoes, among other pulutans (horrors! will the green mango not give them a tummy ache?). they looked oh-so relaxed and happy.

And the numerous "kawa" (very large wok) perched on rocks and firewood... ahh. There were no banderitas in sight but it was a fiesta alright. Just to confirm my suspicions, the banda came into view. They wore brightly colored gear and were playing a happy tune; the pretty maidens were holding their batons (majorettes, they're called) and were trying their best to smile while getting sunburnt.

Plus toms of trinkets and cheap toys for sale. A happy time for kids, for everyone.

I remember when i was little, fiestas were the time when they bought me this tiny set of palayok fruits perched on a tiny but very real-looking... uh, palayok. I wonder if they still make those.

No comments: