Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Work and Life

I am in the final stretch of what seems to me like a lifetime of study and training. Twelve-hour workdays, 6 to 7 days a week - this is not supposed to be normal and it is driving me nuts! The guilt of not being able to spend enough time with my family, the frustration of not being capable of giving my best 100% of the time (at home and on the job), the lack of time to read, and study, and further my training... I'm like a half-baked cake that is about to be served and scrutinized.

Add to this a boss who is so used to filling his schedule to the brim, with no time to have a decent lunch. He works like his body and mind have been designed to not need any break.

To say that I feel sad because of my seemingly helpless situation is truly an understatement. Thank God heard my prayers of frustration (as always) and made me stumble into this article on how to find that elusive balance between work and life. It made me reflect on how, aside from finding time for myself, I need to KNOW what it is that makes me happy. The write-up urged me to spend some time thinking about the question - what do you love? Turns out that the 'what' is a far tougher question than the 'who'.

So I ventured into coming up with my short list of things that I love:
1. being with my family
2. good music
3. good reading material
4. idyllic views of nature (greens and blooms, in particular)
5. cross-stitching

To my horror, I realized that this past week I spent this amount of time doing the things that I love: less than 10 hours! Ay, caramba!... I really have to find that balance before it's too late.

No comments: